View Single Post

October 7th, 2007, 10:53
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do…64361400518462

If you have the time and the inclination, there's an in-depth and lengthy video of a Bioshock developer (programmer), going through the actual development of the game, from inception to release.

I noted, late in the video during the Q/A session, that he kinda slipped up (my personal perception) and said something to this effect (paraphrasing a bit):

"RPG elements are kinda nerdy things, and if you want to make a game that many people like, you're going to have to make some compromises."

Yes, he really says that, and I doubt it's the official line. Levine has talked about it being just as deep and bla bla, just more accessible. Which doesn't exactly jive with calling the removal of RPG elements a compromise. Why would it be a compromise if it is just as deep, only better?

It tells me what I already suspected all along, that the game WAS, at least semi-consciously, compromised to make it sell. Of course, it's not a huge surprise to many, but to actually hear the developers say it makes me feel better when I criticise the otherwise good game.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential