View Single Post

October 8th, 2007, 13:21
Off Topic

JDR13 and Badesumofu, probably this is not the usual usage of the term but, in Bioshock's case, I mean that the players are given an eco-system filled with AI-driven creatures like a sandbox. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did the similar thing. However, due to the current technological restrictions, both games restrain AI creatures from having gone too wild. While more ambitious S.T.A.L.K.E.R took enormous time and is still filled with bugs, Bioshock's "safeguard" seems to have influenced the game difficulty. The same thing happened with Oblivion's "Radiant AI" such as invincible quest-NPCs. In an early interview on Bioshock, Levine explained that the current computers were not good enough to make a believable city filled with human-beings and that the team made a setting filled with creatures who used to be human beings.

That said, I can understand what you mean: Bioshock is a very story-focused game, too. I think the decision comes from Levines' pride as a writer, too. The same thing can explain the linearity. By sandbox, I only meant the game-play. In Bioshock, the experience of story is more controlled than that of game-play. This is one of the reasons why I am interested in what the Witcher team is doing. However, considering the nature of the narrative device, I think it is probably difficult to judge the game. Personally, I don't like to be in the shoes of Dhruin. Take your time, RPGwatch team.

Dusk

Sentinel