View Single Post

October 8th, 2007, 13:25
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
*snip* nd the superceded AD&D rules.
It didn't have any influence on the final score though. AD&D3 was not released by the time, so it would be unfair. Even though GURPS would be much better, but it doesn't really matter.

From a structural perspective, I acknowledge the largely empty wilderness areas are a poor design (notice how quickly BioWare learned the lesson) but, personally, it made me feel like I really was exploring the Sword Coast.
Then why don't you consider it a sandbox?

I'm also ambivalent about criticism of the dungeon-crawling aspect - I suspect (and this is just my gut reaction) that if you were reviewing ToEE, you would be likely to defend the level of combat ("hey - it was meant to be a dungeon crawler!"). I know not everyone will agree but combat was always central for me in D&D's design and philosophy and I expect D&D games to be combat heavy.
I am one of those that think torment is the only real D&D cRPG. But I get what you mean. Well, I guess it's a matter of opinion?

That said, I certainly agree BG could have offered more alternative solution scenarios.
Exactly. That was partly my point. Poor balanced (as in uninteresting and repetitive) fights were also a factor though.

Colonel RPG