Thread: WoW or EQ2?
View Single Post

November 3rd, 2006, 15:14
Ryzom's combat system definitely takes some getting used to, and I agree with the inconsistency part - i've died suddenly without realizing I was anywhere near it, especially when getting mobbed by more than one creature.

However, the rest of the system is so deep and engaging, and the recent addition of player created scenarios, had me so intrigued that I subscribed to get in on the rest of the game. So far, no regrets (though I have yet to experience any player scenarios).

WoW's graphics were never a sore point for me - I adored the style and loved the visual consistency and the way that equipment sets just made you look like so damned slick. Very cool, and one of the strongest points for that game, visually. I'm with you on the distinctive visual styles - they can really make a game so much more than it might have been otherwise. And the photorealism isn't something I actually seek out…BUT I preferred the more realistic take on armor and weapons that I found in EQ2 over the more outlandish styles in WoW. My thoughts are pretty well summed up here

My perfect game would combine the more realistic take on equipment that EQ2 had, with the visual style and consistency of WoW - oddly enough, this is one of the things that appeals to me most about Ryzom. It's a middle ground of sorts.

Also why I'm so keen on The Chronicles of Spellborn - what an interesting and captivating style they have developed…just hope the game system plays out as fun, as Sorcha stated - if it isn't fun, it doesn't matter how pretty it is.

rheric

Traveler