View Single Post

October 29th, 2007, 22:01
If it were successful enough, I suppose companies might sell the base platform cheap or even give it away. So yes, players might be able to try a game by making only a small financial commitment. Developers would need more revenue in the end, though, and that money would have to come from gamers, ultimately.

I'm imagining downloadable content as a solution that would enable developers to create better RPGs with complex game worlds containing an enormous variety of options for specific character types. It would resemble client-server architecture only in the sense that players would rely on frequent access to a remote server for necessary files. But I'm talking about single-player games that run on individual platforms, just like they do now – not online games, and not MMORPGs.

Instead of making "one-size-fits-all" games that are sold once – or downloadable content that's sold piece by piece, also once – developers would make complex games that are already bursting with content designed to fit a variety of specific characters. The game itself would be the downloadable content, but the player would only have access to specific content that matches his current character.

If it were a good enough game with a good enough game world, players might play it over and over again, each time with a new character (and matching content). Why not? It would be a different experience each time.
Last edited by Squeek; October 29th, 2007 at 22:08.

Squeek

connoisseur of tidbits