View Single Post

November 6th, 2007, 17:52
Originally Posted by Crolug View Post
I can't truly understand why everyone is comparing new RPGs to Oblivion? Why? Why? WHY?
I'll tell you why I think that is. It's Oblivion's commitment to arcade-game interpretation. People seem to love that, even if they hate other aspects or hate every other aspect of an RPG.

It's a limited approach, so if you do an RPG that way, it can only be just as limited. Emphasize it to the best of your ability, and the result will be Oblivion. That situation is going to get worse before it gets better, I'm afraid.

Back in the late '70s I used to play a custom version of D&D up at Caltech that was hosted by members of its computer club. Every now and then the conversation turned to how D&D might be done, someday, with a computer. A few of those guys were obviously brilliant, but none ever imagined the state of CRPG today.

Instead of using computers as tools for evaluating the boundless possibilities of complex worlds with asserted realities, as we thought, today's game systems are, essentially, multimedia generators dedicated to the task of enabling you to picture yourself steering around whatever place you're in, finding whatever there is to find along the way and interacting only in the simplest of terms.

It's inevitable, IMO, that we'll reach a point where consoles will continue along the arcade-game path of multimedia interpretation while PCs will go back to being used as a platform for games that are more innovative. Until then, more and more RPGs are going to be Oblivionish.

Squeek

connoisseur of tidbits