View Single Post

November 27th, 2007, 16:44
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
I don't get paid for my reviews at any of the sites I deal with (other than a few thousand $$ of free games … most of which I wouldn't buy anyway … ) - but I do insist that I be allowed to complete games before reviewing. My time is important, but I only review games to share my views and insights with others and hopefully either encourage them to grab gems they might have missed or skip crap not worth buying.
Damn straight.

I do get paid for working on GameBanshee, but I mostly value that I can take my own time with articles, even up to selecting what I want to write about.

As I said on the Codex: When previewing Hard to be a God, I played the demo through 2 times and twice more with different builds just to be sure I explored it properly, I re-read the book which I hadn't picked up in ages, and only after investing that much time, way over 10 hours, did I consider myself qualified to do a preview.

And I think that should be standard. I can understand, having worked in the editorial office of printing media, that deadlines can mess this up and I have no problem with that, but you'd figure that in a month's time they could've spared more than 10 hours. What's more, if you've only spent 10 hours in the game, the article really shouldn't be called a review, because it's not, you're not reviewing the game, you're giving impressions from your sparse playing time. Call a bird a bird and a pig a pig, please.

Brother None

SasqWatch