View Single Post

December 9th, 2007, 16:48
Well, the point is that I used to develop certain colour settings for my desktop display … You know, you can change the colour of the buttons, frames, edit fields etc. manually - at least to a very large extend from within Win98SE (on desktop: right-click, and there go to "display" or "design" or how it's called in English versions, and there to "more" or wwhat the English-language versions have there).

These colour layouts or settings are stored within the registry, alas no longer in the win.ini, as it was custom in Win 3.1 (there I developed such settings, too ! ), so I've got to import them into the registry of my new winxp computer.

However, the old data still lies - including the whole OS ! - on my old harddisks (my new PC has a new harddisk), and therefore I don't really know where these settings are stored - physically. I know there's the USER.DAT and the SYSTEM.DAT, but what else ?

I'm not sure, but I think I'll need to look around.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR