View Single Post

December 11th, 2007, 18:38
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
The question is, why should Christians not read a good story, even if it challenges their belief? I am more of an agnostic than an atheist, with some panteheistic tendencies. I read the Narnia books (and the screwtape letters) with considerable delight despite its sometimes heavy handed christian context. I have also read and enjoyed, books strongly championing budhism, islam, hinduism, and various pagan belief systems, all the way to strict atheism. Books that make a good story or a good argument are always worth reading, and the intellectual challenge of dissecting the purported world view against your own only adds to the enjoyment.

If a christian actually feels threatened by the fantasy in Pullmans book, maybe his beliefs aren't as strong as claimed, because otherwise he will find a smart play on christian myth, lots of Milton stood on its head, and a darn good yarn on top.
1. Because they may drop into hell for doing so.
2. Because the leaders of the church loose power if their churchgoers start to get unwanted ideas.

"Boycott Worked": Compass Flops - Opening Weekend $26 Million; Narnia $63 Million

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM