View Single Post

December 12th, 2007, 11:58
Originally Posted by Prime Junta View Post
Wonderful. Role-playing reduced to "click A for good, B for evil."

It's a shame Bioware can't seem to go beyond cliché in their good/evil stuff. It's clear they try, like the Closed Fist/Open Palm thing in Jade Empire, but somehow it always ends up as strangling kittens versus clothing the hungry and feeding the naked. Or whatever.
This is one of the reasons why I am done with Bioware formula. The story lines feel very "repetitive."

Originally Posted by Thaurin View Post
It would be very hard to have many shades of grey, I think. Even now, you have many false dialogue options, like in most RPG's from the past. They could probably make a really good RPG with a lot of depth to your choices, but you'd be done with it in five hours. Replay value would be high, but I'm not sure if that'd be enough to build a compelling story.

What would be an example of an RPG that did this right?
Although I haven't played the Witcher yet, it seems to have achieved something interesting, which allows the players sympathize with the protagonist as well as letting them feel a part of the imaginary world. Also, System Shocks and Deus Exes offered some interesting choices but Bioshock seems to have been simplified for mass audiences in this respect.

I haven't played the Witcher yet but, if I am right, it seems to have managed to do what Deus EX: Invisible War couldn't. Without implementing the clear-cut good and evil scheme, it lets the players feel the choice more personal by offering a sympathiz-able protagonist and an immersive world, which has deeper similarities in the players' world.

Dusk

Sentinel