View Single Post

December 12th, 2007, 13:23
It should be mentioned that no matter whether you go down the Renegade path or you go down the Paragon path (or stay on neutral ground for that matter), you're still trying to save the galaxy. The Renegade path is not about you seeking power for yourself, but rather about following a strict military code where human needs outweigh those of other races. You're not hesitant about taking on the role of judge, jury and executioner if the need arises, but even if the end result is executing the person in question it is always based on firm belief that you're doing the right thing for the good of humanity. I've only run across a single quest where the Renegade Shepard's ego resulted in a bloodbath but not only was that the intend of the quest giver all along but this quest is also only available for Renegade players.

In Mass Effect you can often achieve the same end by manipulating the situation using your Charm (Paragon) or Intimidate (Renegade) abilities - if you've invested enough points into these abilities - so unlike the "Kill the Kitty" vs "Save the Kitty" choice, you don't always have to choose between the extremes (i.e. Good vs. Evil), but rather what arguments you'll use.

Yes, it is still far from perfect, but unlike most other alignment games where evil equals stupid, Mass Effect's "Evil" path is actually playable and makes sense if seen from a bitter perspective.

*edit*
Oh and the paths in The Witcher is mostly about choosing a side in a conflict. The is no good or evil, merely shades of grey. Don't get me wrong I love the Witcher and have nothing bad to say about the game, but I think it is a bit unfair using the Witcher "choice model" as a comparison when talking about Good vs Evil choices.

"Chess in particular had always annoyed him. It was the dumb way the pawns went off and slaughtered their fellow pawns while the kings lounged about doing nothing that always got to him; if only the pawns united, maybe talked the rooks around, the whole board could've been a republic in a dozen moves." - Commander Vimes in Thud! by Terry Pratchett

fatBastard()

Hello, I'm a Zombaholic