View Single Post

December 12th, 2007, 15:45
Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
The Witcher is a perfect choice for making a comparison between the usual Good vs Evil choices. Take the first act for example, do you side with the witch who, from my point of view, has done her fair share of evil deeds and good or do you side with the more disgusting villagers who definatly have done more evil deeds than the witch.

You said that The Witcher is all about shades of grey. Well tell me then what is good? What is evil? There are no pure good and pure evil choices in life. There is only life. Is it evil to kill a deer to feed your family? or good because you can feed your family. Well then, what about if that deer's young died because you killed it. Then is it evil? Or let's take a more human aproach. Is it evil for yourself to steal from someone to feed yourself and your family? What about the person you stole from, they might not be able to feed their family because you stole from them, is it evil then? or good? Let's take a more religious view of good and evil for a second because that is where the words good and evil really come from anyways. Is it good for a religion to convert other religions to their faith or is it evil because they are subverting a people and their culture and possibly destorying families in the process (cults would be a good example of this). So you see in MY perception there are no pure good or evil choices, only your perception of what these choices mean to you.

With the witcher its all about perception (just like real life). Do you percieve the villagers are doing whats right or the witch. It does come down to making a choice in the matter but isn't that what real life is all about, picking a side that you think to be the right.
Woah, time out. I never said anything about Real Life Good vs Evil. I thought we were talking about games here. Coming from a gaming scene dominated by D&D titles in the RPG department, I guess I based my measuring stick in terms of Good vs. Evil from experiences with these games.

Playing as a typical D&D Paladin one would gain the "Fallen" status faster than one could say "Smite Evil" if either side was chosen in the end of Act I in The Witcher. Neither are "Good". It is purely a choice of the lesser evil (as she so pointedly mentions herself). That was my point when I said "shades of grey" and while it is perfectly valid to request that more games seek this kind of moral choice in games, it is still not fair IMO to invoke "The Witcher approach" when talking about Good vs. Evil choices.

Again, I really love The Witcher and I think it is one of the best games I've played in a long time, but that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy other games as well.

"Chess in particular had always annoyed him. It was the dumb way the pawns went off and slaughtered their fellow pawns while the kings lounged about doing nothing that always got to him; if only the pawns united, maybe talked the rooks around, the whole board could've been a republic in a dozen moves." - Commander Vimes in Thud! by Terry Pratchett

fatBastard()

Hello, I'm a Zombaholic