View Single Post

December 13th, 2007, 14:03
Edit: I found the full text of the resolution. Here's a longer, relevant quote:

Resolved, That the House of Representatives—

(1) recognizes the Islamic faith as one of the great religions of the world;

(2) expresses friendship and support for Muslims in the United States and worldwide;

(3) acknowledges the onset of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month of fasting and spiritual renewal, and conveys its respect to Muslims in the United States and throughout the world on this occasion;

(4) rejects hatred, bigotry, and violence directed against Muslims, both in the United States and worldwide; and

(5) commends Muslims in the United States and across the globe who have privately and publicly rejected interpretations and movements of Islam that justify and encourage hatred, violence, and terror.
Edit 2: I forgot to paste the reference: [ http://www.amperspective.com/html/ho…reolution.html ].

IOW, I think that points 2, 5, and 6 are pretty much identical in both resolutions. No coincidence, incidentally.

As to point 4… JemyM, surely you're not claiming that Christians and Christianity did not play a significant role in the founding of the United States and in the formation of the western civilization? 'Cuz that seems pretty absurd to me.

In any case, there's a somewhat interesting story behind these two resolutions (yes, they are connected). Or interesting for any America-watcher anyway. You might want to look it up; there's more to it than the "yet another step towards theocracy" that you're painting it.

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO