View Single Post

December 17th, 2007, 17:22
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
I disagree this whole customerbase thinking. Developers make games not cars or tvs. A computer game is a form of art just like movies, music or books. If you want to be a good artist you must be a dictator of your own work. The hour when your fans start developing your games is the hour when you have sold out your vision. Ofcourse the community may have good ideas and it won't hurt to discuss them openly, but listening them too much waters down the game to a point when its a medicore mix of everyone's ideas.
Yes. I fail to see how you're disagreeing with me when you're saying the same thing I just said. Discuss feedback within the framework of your own vision

(I never said game-making wasn't art, but people do need to make the distinction between free art you can do with your own time or art for commercial purposes. Gaming is generally the latter)

IMHO Oblivion is a prime example of what happens when you "listen to the gamers" too much. Successful, too.
Oblivion is pretty contentious on whether or not they listened to "fans", and more precisely, to "which fans". If you ask me, they listened to all the wrong advice, and ignored the good advice.

Weak vision.

Brother None

SasqWatch