View Single Post

December 31st, 2007, 16:59
Originally Posted by doctor_kaz View Post
Do you mean S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? If so, the developers have never tried to sell it as anything but an FPS. Most of the PR for the game has focused on the graphics, the huge expansive areas, the mutants, the story, the ballistics, and the AI. It was a superb FPS, at that. Considerably better than Bioshock or any other FPS that came out this year.
I agree… although it did take a number of patches to get there. My three top games this year were The Witcher, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and MotB, in this order.

I can't blame the guy at least for thinking that it's hard. The first mission of the game is really hard until you get used to it, since the first weapons that you get are really weak and underwpowered. If you're used to the approach offered in 90% of the FPS's out there (i.e. the first two hours are a cakewalk) then S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is a shock to the system. Once you get an automatic weapon and enough ammo, it gets better and easier.
IMO Crysis is just as hard to start with. At least I got pasted all over the landscape a quite a lot until I figured out the lurk-pounce-scoot-lurk gameplay rhythm that works there. It took me roughly as many tries to get the feel of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. as Crysis. I ended up playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. at "realistic" once I had the rhythm down, and I did not find it excessively difficult. (OK, there were a few bits near the endgame where I had to reload a bit frequently, but no more than in the hardest bits in Half-Life 2, for example.)

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO