View Single Post

January 5th, 2008, 15:41
Originally Posted by fatBastard() View Post
Morrowind is vast, fairly empty and populated by a huge population of more or less lifeless drones and a few quest giving NPCs. It is the perfect setting for creating your own kind of experience but you have to be creative because the game is more or less one huge sandbox with rather limited incentive to continue the main story (or any side story for that matter).
Funny, that was exactly what I thought of Oblivion.

Originally Posted by fatBastard() View Post
Oblivion, on the other hand, is packed with a staggering amount of vastly different quests, from tiny fed-ex type quests to huge undertakings, taking you all around the landmass. Some quests are of the fairly straight forward, well known type while others are truly surprising, both in terms of twists but also in their execution. In fact, there is so much to do in Oblivion, that I strapped myself in and went for a ride and I wasn't finished until more than 300+ hours later, and there was still plenty or ruins/caves left to explore.
And that sounds a lot like Morrowind to me, except there weren't as many quirky quests like "fetch a guy who got stuck inside a painting".

I'd say both Morrowind and Oblivion were deeply flawed games but with Morrowind I at least got the feeling that the developers were actually trying to shoot for something great, whereas with Oblivion everything seemed like it was designed with the lowest common denominator/mediocrity in mind or like it was designed by committee.

KazikluBey

Sentinel