View Single Post

January 6th, 2008, 21:09
When I said demigod, I meant being virtually untouchable. Even a Golden Saint would hardly ever land a blow on me by the time I stopped playing Morrowind and even if they did hit, the damage was so minor that I had basically regenerated all damage before I was hit again. I could almost go take a leak in the middle of a fight and come back to mob up afterwards (slight exaggeration but not by much).

I actually tried going up against the Grey Champion at a very low level and it took him no more than a single hit to put my lights out. That is hardly what I call being a demigod. I'm not saying it can't be done. Heck, I remember tales of a Monk character in Baldur's Gate 2 that had his Quivering Palm connect when he used it against a dragon and BAM! it was dead. But a lucky blow is not the same as being a demigod and winning against an opponent that can flatten you with a single hit is either by luck, by cheating/exploiting a weakness or by being skilled.

Perhaps there is a trick to beating certain adversaries that doesn't depend on your level that I don't know about but I do know that I can't count all the times I had to reload because I failed to "fish out" one opponent at a time and consequently found myself surrounded by 2 or 3 baddies that made minced meat out of me. On the other hand, I rarely felt like I simply couldn't win no matter what I did, so yes, to ME the level scaling was indeed a step in the right direction.

"Chess in particular had always annoyed him. It was the dumb way the pawns went off and slaughtered their fellow pawns while the kings lounged about doing nothing that always got to him; if only the pawns united, maybe talked the rooks around, the whole board could've been a republic in a dozen moves." - Commander Vimes in Thud! by Terry Pratchett

fatBastard()

Hello, I'm a Zombaholic