View Single Post

January 7th, 2008, 10:24
I found Morrowind very beautiful, atmospheric and immersive for the first 20-30 hours. As Sammy pointed out, exploring is a major highlight. The first time you come across a Daedric ruin, a dwemer fortress, or a Telvani mushroom house (or whatever the heck they called it) it's a jaw dropping experience. If I had stopped playing after 30 hours, I would probably have nothing but fond memories of Morrowind.

Unfortunately, I didn't stop. Being a completist (though Bethesda has done much to cure me of that affliction), I was determined to play through all the guilds I had joined, as well as the main quest. As a result, my memories of Morrowind center mostly on the sheer number of uninteresting, repetitive dialogs, the astronomical number of uninteresting, repetitive fed-ex quests, the glut of uninteresting, repetitive combat…you get the idea. Even exploration loses its luster after a while. Once you've seen 3 or 4 Daedric shrines, they all start to look very much the same. Sure there are a few exceptions, but by and large, they're modeled after the same template, and you know pretty much exactly what you're going to find when you enter one.
I don't think I've wasted so many hours on a game since…well Daggerfall. If a genie were to show up and offer to give me those hours of my life back, I would definitely say yes.

Geist

Watchdog