View Single Post

January 8th, 2008, 19:57
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
The game making choice - Are you talking about a Dungeon Master AI, multiplayer, or even Pen & Paper? I couldn't quite follow your meaning here.
In single player computer games the only source of collaboration available is the software. So I'm saying the software needs to provide collaboration and that that collaboration should be genuine.

Why the heck not? There are some awfully smart people out there, walking around, who would be willing to give it a shot. I once knew a guy who studied and taught computer science, mathematics and physics at Oxford for almost twenty years. He had two doctorates, a masters and an undergraduate degree and was looking for a new job.

Maybe I have no business asserting this, since I don't program. But I think the products we're seeing are more the result of design decisions than technical limitations. People who write product plans for these games assess us and decide we'll be easily satisfied.

Some, like the folks over at Bethesda, get pretty smug about it. We should wise up and demand more.

Oh, I wish I had a river I could skate away on. But it don't snow here. It stays pretty green. I'm going to make a lot of money, then I'm going to quit this crazy scene. — [Joni Mitchell]

Squeek

connoisseur of tidbits