View Single Post

Default Age of Decadence - Non-Combat Gameplay

March 1st, 2008, 21:05
Originally Posted by Brother None View Post
Sure, genres that can't possibly be immersive aren't claimed to have to be immersive, but let's be honest - that's a non-argument. If you look at games with the potential to be immersive in the popular sense, like RPGs, then making an isometric RPG is simply "wrong". Period.
Could you cite a few examples of mainstream game media making this claim? For example, about NWN2 — there have been lots of reviews, so it should be easy to find examples.

Is it completely personal that I can't see the use of having a physical/kinetic sensation of being in the game with having a feeling of involvement? That sounds completely useless to me. Not neutral, it just sounds purposeless.
"Is it completely personal that I can't see the use of shooting a film in color without having a feeling of involvement? That sounds completely useless to me. Not neutral, it just sounds purposeless."

Some films are absolutely beautiful in black and white. The Maltese Falcon would not have gained anything from being shot in color — in fact, IMO it would have been worse. OTOH others make marvelous use of color — Betty Blue, Careful, and Tarkovski's Stalker, to name three off the top of my head. Yet lots of rubbish films have been shot in color. Same with physical/kinetic immersion — some games make great use of it (e.g. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay), while others are pretty uninspiring despite successfully creating that feeling (DOOM 3, Oblivion). Again, two different things.

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO