View Single Post

March 4th, 2008, 19:12
I also thought it was a great article

Oddly, the same happened to me with NWN2 - I preordered it but then took over a year to finish it. MotB however, I did enjoy fully and didn't want to put down. This seems to back up your subjective idea.

Personally I noticed a shift in perception of games about two years ago for me. I don't know what happened, but suddenly I do find games a bit bland whereas before I would be entertained by any decent game it's now the exception rather than the rule. I don't know if I just matured, or hit some kind of threshold where I knew I could actually just buy games when and where I wanted, rather than it being some special thing.

Having prior knowledge of a game used to increase the anticipation, but I think like GBG it now tends to reduce it. The exception to this was The Witcher, which I knew a lot about and had even played quite a lot before it was released… BUT there was something intangibly polished and atmospheric about TW that dragged me in and gives me a little mental shiver every time I boot it up.

I wish this 'spark' was definable, but now it's the only thing that I guarantee will make me want to carry on playing a game. They can be technically and graphically great, even have good gameplay, but there needs to be some kind of polish and something 'extra' to really move me nowadays.

Did MotB have that? Much more so than NWN2, but ultimately I think it was saved by the fact I was also playing The Witcher - it gave me a counterpoint experience that I could actually appreciate I think.

kalniel

SasqWatch