View Single Post

March 17th, 2008, 09:59
Originally Posted by Stormwaltz View Post
That decision meant there could be no "branching" content. At the conclusion of a big plot, I think a "good" choice should always show a unique cutscene, and/or open a follow-on mission that builds on the outcome that choice. A "bad" choice should always show a different cutscene, or open a different follow-on mission.
Like with many things, I think the key thing to consider is balance - not every (side-)quest need have far reaching consequences, but neither should none. The worst thing with no real consequences is that the world feels lifeless - it has no real sense of going on without you and that lessens the "immersion" (yay, I used the I word!) in my opinion.

The answer, I think, is for a sprinkling of quests that have consequences down the line - and try not to make it too obvious at the time which one's those are. One of the things I love about The Witcher is how seemingly small choices come back to haunt you later on. Catch that feeling of the game world not quite being fully under your control despite your best intentions and ME2 would be one of the great RPGs of our time.

And as for "wasted" content… people tend to talk about games, and I love it when I chat to someone about a game and describe an experience I had and they'll respond how it was totally different for them - that makes my experience feel special. It adds to the whole, it doesn't detract.

Holly Avenger

Watchdog