View Single Post

April 3rd, 2008, 10:25
I love that blog entry!

I think the combat focus in RPGs is the main reason why there's often relatively little depth to character archetypes. Thieves, Warriors and Mages can all fight with different means, but usually it's not much different. Like in guenthar's suggestion, if there were more non-fighting possibilities to explore, it could really help flesh out the classes.

On the topic of mages and slightly off-topic, one of my pet peeves in most fantasy based RPGs is indeed that there's no real depth behind the magic (system). Spells are plastic spells. They have a name, a function, but nothing behind it. Where's the lore to make the magic more (in-)tangible? My favorite magic descriptions were in Raymond Feist's Magician and Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series. Mostly, there weren't any "magic missiles" or somesuch, magic needed to be bent and formed and experimented with to harness it's power.

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey
Last edited by Arhu; April 3rd, 2008 at 10:41.

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team