View Single Post

April 4th, 2008, 15:47
Originally Posted by Thaurin View Post
You forgot the recent JRPG article that was linked. It may have been a slow news day, but I (and as I recall others) enjoyed that. And yes, you reported on Mass Effect even before a PC release was announced (even though a PC release might have seemed obvious). So that's what I meant. Not that I really expected you to change your policy…
We covered that article for GameBanshee too. It was clearly focused on the common heritage of Western and Japanese RPGs, and as such interesting to fans of both genres.

I find "stick to what you know" might be a bit boring but it works. And Western RPGs and MMORPGs are the forte of RPGWatch/MMORPGWatch and GameBanshee. Other people cover jRPGs fine, there's really little need to expand.

And that's the thing. I don't think RPGWatch (or GB) will ever drop coverage of BioWare or Obsidian titles even if both studios decide to produce exclusively for consoles (pretty much the case now for BW anyway, but at least they still port). But jRPGs are really a different genre. Just because "RPG" is tacked onto it doesn't change the fact that GTA III is closer to Oblivion than FF XII is.

I've said it before and I've said it again, "RPG" is an umbrella term, and just because a game is called an RPG doesn't mean it's similar to other games that are called RPGs…at all.

Brother None

SasqWatch