View Single Post

April 20th, 2008, 22:01
I know this is all in good fun, but I wish folks wouldn't discount the views of anyone who didn't vote the same as them. Although, I guess the only real reason for a poll like this is to engender discussion and reminiscing, which it's doing very well.

I've played at least one game, usually all, in every one of the series in the poll except Realms of Arkania, and that one I intend to rectify someday. I still chose Ultima for the reasons I explained in my post. That doesn't mean I didn't love the others, I loved all of them.

M&M was a great series (I only played the earlier ones), although when I was playing them was not too long after the Bard's Tale series, which I tended to prefer (the original series, obviously not the remake). The Gold Box games are of the few I have never replayed, but they were great games as well. And they were the first RPGs I played with 256-color graphics, which was a significant jump for me coming from Apple ][e monochrome green/black even if I usually consider graphics a trivial element of RPGs. Fallout would have had a chance but it wasn't nearly as long lived as many of these series, so I personally disqualified it from my voting process despite my love for the two games. Ultima gave me significant pleasure from 1983 to 1993. Eleven years of consistently good RPGing from one series is really something. The post-'93 disappointments of U8 and U9 can't tarnish that history for me.

Newer series get a lesser chance with me, as they were after my childhood and lack the same magic for just that reason. But even amongst them are some of my favorite games.

I don't expect others to agree with me, but I do expect them not to discount my opinion based in false assumptions. Then again, maybe I'm just taking it all too seriously, something I'm prone to do.

Guhndahb

Sentinel