View Single Post

May 6th, 2008, 18:21
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
If I'm understanding it right, your legitimately purchased copy could stop working if your CD key, somehow, became public knowledge. It would be forever banned.

Once I hired a kid to work for me who turned out to be quite an adept and active hacker. After about a week, I noticed that my Windows installation disk was missing, and I asked him about it. He said he had "borrowed" it.

I got the CD back but always wondered if he'd uploaded a copy of it somewhere and how many "pirates" were running my copy of Windows on their machines. If Microsoft were using this kind of copy protection then, I probably would have been forced to go out and purchase another copy.
There's no identifying information on your Windows install disk, so unless he "borrowed" your product key as well, there's no problem. And, FWIW, Microsoft are using this type of copy protection — if your product key leaks, it'll get blacklisted, which means your "WGA" (Windows Genuine Advantage) feature will emasculate your OS the next time it installs a critical update.

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO