View Single Post

May 7th, 2008, 01:58
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
Mogwins, there is no limit on the number of installs on the same hardware. Guhndahb, Derek French has answered this:
Well, that's good! I still don't like the idea of having to call home though. In ten years time, will the servers still be there? I doubt it. Will the developers have the, time/money to release a patch to negate the "call home" protection? In the case of EA/Bioware - probably, but my concern is that this becomes industry standard, and I wouldn't be so optimistic of smaller companies who can go under very quickly, with very little warning. What option then? Find an illegal solution? Kind of defeats the point of copy protection!

I still maintain that corporations trying to dictate when/where you can use a product you've paid for is intrinsically wrong and something that shouldn't be encouraged. I'm very glad to see Amazon breaking Apple's DRM stranglehold in the digital music market. Just imagine Apple went under tomorrow (almost inconceivable, I know, but humour me) as soon as your current Ipod finally dies (not that long a period as Apple doesn't allow non-apple servicing even for trivial tasks like battery replacement), your precious itunes collection can't be used on portable music players (unless you reply on hacking of the DRM, which again defeats teh entire purpose). I'd rather the software industry didn't get into this state in the first place.

mogwins

Sentinel