View Single Post

November 16th, 2006, 00:20
Cormac, I agree you can roleplay in Oblivion (I haven't played it but I have played Daggerfall and Morrowind), but that doesn't make it an rpg, since when you stop roleplaying and start in with the combat you stop playing a role and become that role governed with your own personal skills.

The krondor example fits in perfectly. Its also one of my favorite games, but ca't be a roleplaying game because of the exact oposite reasons oblivion isn't an rpg. The game is an interactive story. An interesting story with interesting characters, and one of the best combat engines I've played. But the characters are predefined, as well as how the characters interact or what they say and basically do. This cannot be dismissed away as technical limitations as it was done 100% on purpose; reulting in a fnatastic game, but not a crpg.

If you can't roleplay in a game, or your physical abilities have an impact on the game, it isn't an rpg or a crpg.

Think of it this way, when you read a book or see a movie, you see the world through the eyes of the character, live vicariously through them for a bit. In an rpg, the character lives vicariously through you for a bit.

roqua

Sentinel