View Single Post

June 1st, 2008, 22:49
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
Trust me, after the original, and perhaps its sequel, the series RAPIDLY deteriorates. Only if you're feeling extremely masochistic would I encourage you to read it all.
Not so! I found the original, and perhaps its sequel ordinary, so to speak, as in "familiar storytelling", but I loved the other books for being different. I actually remember everything but the stories best. I was intrigued by the politics (I hate politics) and the scope of the Dune universe. I have a weakness for stories that span multiple generations or even eons.

JDR13: Regarding the TV mini series - while they adequately presented the stories of the first two books, I missed the dusty atmosphere most. The TV series was too clean. The first Dune movie had a nice atmosphere, but not much in common with the books. So.. I think it might be worth reading the first two books for the experience alone, but I guess you could also skip them if you are only interested in how everything unfolds after that.

As a sidenote, this is actually the best time for reading Dune: Summer. Hot, sunny, sweaty days. (Likewise, I'd recommend reading A Song of Ice and Fire in Winter.) Much more immersive that way.

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey
Last edited by Arhu; June 1st, 2008 at 22:57.

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team