View Single Post

June 7th, 2008, 18:14
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Well, the point is - yes, digital versions of games allow the player to play a game without the need for a CD or a DVd in any drive …

… On the other hand I have the problem that a digital version of a game is far two insecure for me, in two points :

- If the harddisk crashes, then the game is gone. Am I allowed to make a copy of it ? Most certainly not.

In general, I fear that downloaded games are more easily lost than non-downloaded versions. I prefer something physical - disks.

- I don't buy online, because I don't use credit cards or other online payment methods. Too insecure for my taste.

You might call this paranoia, I don't care. Maybe I've read too many security reports in the last years.
Well, if you purchase via Steam, the worst that could happen is that you would have to download your games again. Meaning, that your portfolio of games are registered at Steam to your Steam account so even if your hard drive dies, you still have access to your games once you have installed the steam client on your new disk and logged in to Steam.

I understand the need to have a physical item at hand when doing a purchase, but I'm a bit weird that way since I'm a collector.

However, if an alternative to a physical disk (and the hassle of needing the disk in the drive in order to start the game) is available to you yet you choose not to take advantage of said alternative then I think it a bit unfair to blame the publishers for whatever CP schemes they choose to put on the physical disks.

"Chess in particular had always annoyed him. It was the dumb way the pawns went off and slaughtered their fellow pawns while the kings lounged about doing nothing that always got to him; if only the pawns united, maybe talked the rooks around, the whole board could've been a republic in a dozen moves." - Commander Vimes in Thud! by Terry Pratchett

fatBastard()

Hello, I'm a Zombaholic