View Single Post

June 14th, 2008, 03:48
Originally Posted by Avantenor View Post
Oblivion has different game mechanics, so it can't be a simple clone. It's Baldur's Gate like.
That's not quite what I meant. I know that it will have different mechanics… I just meant I hope they don't "dumb" it down so they can reach "Joe Playstation" (I know it's not a playstation game as well… just making a point).

One of the things that I loved about the Arkania series was how amazingly in-depth the RPG system was for those games. By today's standards you would be considered to be a rocket scientist if you can play those original games. You had to learn the system, pay attention to everything, and really put forth effort to succeed in those games (but despite the time and patience required they were immensely fun games)… which is how I believe it should be.

Today's games lean more and more toward the "Oblivion" approach of "Let's make it as easy as we can so every moron with 60 bucks can play it". I know that's a great marketing approach, but it leaves us old RPG cronies out in the cold.

So what I'm really trying to say is that I hope they make the game match the system that it's supposedly coming from. But I'm sure that they are working diligently (especially the marketing guys) to make it as "accessible" as possible… which is not always a good thing.

May all your hits be crits!

narpet

Sentinel