View Single Post

June 16th, 2008, 23:36
Originally Posted by Lord_Craxton View Post
Let me ask you this, do you like it just as much when you do all that planning and forethought and strategising, and micromanaging, and packing, and organizing… and then starve to death on the last level of the dungeon anyway because you just packed one loaf too few back at that start? Keep in mind that, since you made that mistake at the beginning of the dungeon, there's a good chance you now have to redo two hours of the game that you've solved before. Still think it's a good idea?

It's a bit like the Dahaka races in Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. It's incredibly fun and unique if you manage to win on the first or second try, but if you have to try a fourth time you start wanting to murder the designer with a rusty stiletto.

Ultima 4 was a great game, and did include the hunger mechanic, but said mechanic was one of the things that brought the game down. In fact, the dungeons were intolerable because the damn Gremlins kept stealing all your food and left you starving slowly to death. They were so numerous that you had no chance of bringing enough food to make it past the third floor, and running was out of the question because it killed your Valor. Everyone I know who beat Ultima 4 just looked up the dungeon maps and used the passage in Lord British's castle and to zip right to the stones via the altar rooms.
You hit precisely on the point I made about it being accessible to manage the hunger. In Ultima, if I got to the 7th level of a dungeon and were out of food, I had a choice to make: See if I could finish the dungeon while starving or use the create food spell to feed my party at the expense of having less magic to use against whatever else lay in wait. I LOVED that. THAT is real choice in games.

As to your last point, I've beaten Ultima 4 several times and never used the cheat you mention.

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett
Last edited by blatantninja; June 17th, 2008 at 15:20.

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist