View Single Post

June 22nd, 2008, 17:34
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
The problem is that the number of allowed activations is exactly 3. And itīs not confirmed you'll get more if you ask.

So itīs a no buy for me until this issue is solved.
about four posts down says the disc protection stays but the activation limit is removed.

2K Community Manager

Our other methods of copy protection remain. You will still have to activate your copy, and you will still need to keep the disc in the drive. SecuROM has not been removed — just the activation limits on number of installs and number of computers you can install BioShock on simultaneously.

As I promised that the activation limits would go away, I can promise that if we ever stop supporting BioShock in the ways you speak of, we will release a patch so that the game is still playable. I believe, as you seem to, that BioShock will be the kind of game we will want to revisit 5, 10, 15 or more years from now. I want my copy to be playable, just as you do, and so does 2K.
Considering the terrible publicity this received I'd like to say this policy was a failure but sales might say otherwise. OTOH, most of those sales were on Xbox. I have to agree that I think it has more to do with simplifying the process now that sales are winding down on the game. Its going for $30 right now.

One thing we haven't mentioned is all the initial complaints about what happens when the company servers for this go down. This pre-empts that and saves the company some money - it doesn't have to try keeping track of all those legit copies out there.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch