View Single Post

June 23rd, 2008, 12:51
Originally Posted by magerette View Post
I'm about half-way through The Master and Margarhita by Bulgakov now, thanks to another Prime Junta recommendation, and its quite entertaining. I'm sure I'm missing a lot of the finer points on the political satire end, but the theater of the absurd feel is definitely coming across full force. It's also meshing nicely with some of the dark humor in PS:T, which I'm replaying atm.
The nice thing about it is that it works on so many levels. You don't *have* to read it as political satire, even though it is most certainly that too.

I recently saw a theatrical production of it. It was quite interesting how different their experience of the book was from mine. In particular, Pilatus and Yeshua were portrayed as somehow quintessentially Russian figures — Pilatus as the "chinovnik," his secret police operative as the "chekist," Yeshua as the "yurodivyi," the Holy Fool. My original experience was a much "straighter" reading of them as, well, a Roman and and Jew. My experience of the book was much enriched as a result.

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO