View Single Post

July 2nd, 2008, 12:23
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Top MMOs like UO and EQ?
I think you're a bit behind the times, to be honest.
Did you see the "arrow" =>? UO was the first top-mmo, then it was EQ and now its wow.

Even WoW had a vastly more involving story aspect than HGL - though I don't think it's a wholesome story experience. But I can think of several quests offhand that satisfies the story lover in me a lot more than anything in HGL. The entire area of Duskwood would be a good example, with a lot of cool background lore.
I played only horde lvl30 but the boring quests made me quit. I really did try to immerse myself into them by reading the quests text etc but I couldnt get anything out of them. Perhaps there were som interesting quests somwhere but I never found them.

People have said that wow has background lore but I dont consider it as a story. Those two are different:
Lore: Accumulated facts, traditions, or beliefs about a particular subject.
Story: The plot of a narrative or dramatic work.
Lore is nice to have as an extra but it can never replace the story.

But pretty much all current day MMOs, like Guild Wars, Age of Conan, Tabula Rasa, LOTRO, EverQuest 2, and so on - are all much more evolved in terms of storytelling than Hellgate.
To make it more clear what I meant as a most common mmos were the ones that people play/have played most commonly. And that means ultima online, everquest and now world of warcraft.

Those are the genre defining (best-selling) mmos atleast to me too and genre-defining is somthing that decides the trends like story or no story. The new ones have better story but noone of them have yet become common enough to top wow and thus redefine the trends.

I never said that new mmos dont have story. It just that I dont consider them as very "popular" or somthing that people commonly play. It doesnt matter how many new mmos are released if people just keep to playing wow like its the only mmo in existance. Im actually afraid that once I get the time to finally play tabula rasa the servers are offline due to lack of players.

In comparison with strong singleplayer stories, ala Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape, Witcher, and so on - no MMO has achieved anything close to those games in terms of interesting and cohesive storylines.
Actually guild wars nightfall has been commented at best to have story equal to singleplayer rpg. I havent played that campaign yet though. Cant wait to see guild wars 2.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke
Last edited by zakhal; July 2nd, 2008 at 13:03.

zakhal

VideoGamingWaste