View Single Post

November 17th, 2006, 22:36
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
And Dhruin, if you turn off the annoying "Loading Area…" message in Oblivion you'll barely notice the transitions - and its not as if Gothic 3 doesnt stutter anyway? What exactly have they gained over Gothic 2 and its 3 zones? I'm not trying to bash the game - I'm just saying that the games visuals don't justify the system requirements. Ironically though, those requirements have nothing to do with the visuals, but for reviews it doesnt matter. Sure its seamless, great. But it still stutters enough you might as well have Oblivion streaming methods and allow your game to run on more common hardware. The game would be far more stable and the reviews would be better.
You're only talking about one aspect, though, and I wasn't comparing to G2. I don't really care about Oblivion's "loading" message at all — what I care about is the door transitions. As I said, having real windows, being able to see people working from outside the doorway and entering/leaving freely adds considerably to Gothic's atmosphere as opposed to Oblivions teleport-to-an-enclosed-cell method.

I would have been happy if they simply used the G2 engine and created the new content they wanted, but reviewers and mainstream gamers wouldn't. I accept they missed their goal but what I'm saying is that was a worthy goal to try for.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team