View Single Post

August 4th, 2008, 18:52
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
That does not, however, explain why they couldn't make up their own IP that was very similar to Fallout. There's a ton of extra costs involved when using an existing IP - research on the setting (reading through thousands of pages of documentation, re-playing the original games, etc), paying Interplay to use the Fallout name, entering various dialogues and discussions with previous developers, set up meetings with Interplay on what can/can not be done in the Fallout universe and so on and so forth.

There are very few cases of people getting sued for copying as a developer, so just making a post-apacolyptic RPG setting would've been less work, less costs and overall less problems.

Yes, there is a certain amount of "free PR" by making a new Fallout game, but not enough to pay the price of the franchise - any game developed by Bethesda would be covered by everyone in the gaming world anyway (just imagine the game magazines going on and on about "OOOOH!! A mysterious futuristic RPG by Bethesda!! When will we get to learn more?!"). No, there has to be something more - some sort of affection for the Fallout universe. From a business point of view, it just doesn't pay off.
Well, we all know how much they paid for the franchise, ~$7million, right? That's the cash cost. As for the rest, I think the "cost" of researching and reading up on Fallout is more than balanced by someone else not only doing all that writing and other work, but by the fact that it's already "play-tested", ie. we all know it's popular and a winner with a whole bunch of people.

As for the cash cost alone, I think they'll make that back on FO3 three times over at least.

my novel: bit.ly/dreamlandsbook

screeg

floating head