View Single Post

August 11th, 2008, 21:00
I think it's too soon to speak intelligently about how these features will add to the game.
If random means choosing between scripted events from a small pool with limited variety, then it's not going to do much apart from being a minor incentive to replay content a few times.

If, however, they create an elaborate system with a large variety of quest goals - based on player actions - and visual variation then it might add a lot.

It's all about execution.

Also, we can't determine if this is going to qualify as dynamic content or not, as it depends on a number of factors. In a strict sense, they probably WILL be dynamic, as we'll see different quests for each playthrough and as such not have a completely static - as in non-changing - experience. But dynamic in a meaningful way? Who knows.

Daggerfall random quests were garbage, in my opinion, and if that's how they intend to generate missions then I'd rather they focus on something else. Rearranging a few words and names for every quest won't amount to anything meaningful.

As far as I know, there's never been a game with random quests that didn't smack of being just that, random. The goal, in my opinion, would be to create the illusion of hand-designed quests, which has yet to be achieved.

If this was Bethesda, I would be worried. Blizzard? It could work.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential