View Single Post

November 24th, 2006, 07:42
My top ten, in no particular order:

1) Lands of Lore 1, 2 and 3: LoL 1 was the first CRPG that held my interest long enough to actually finish it, Lol 2 had Luther (MAJOR SQUEEAGE!!!!), and LoL3 let you finish the unfinished business from LoL 1, though in the form of a different character. I love it when a plan comes together *chews on cigar*.
2) System Shock 1- The first game that had me sit on the dge of my seat. I hated shodan with a passion. SS2 never really did that for me.
3) Daggerfall and Morrowind: My favorite Elder Scrolls CRPGs. Daggerfall was so vast I was overwhelmed back then, and my first time through took me over 7 months. Morrowind with expansions held my interest for more than 1 1/2 years.
4) Gothic 1 and 2: I loved Gothic 1 because of its dense and gritty atmosphere. G2 was more polished, but had lost a little of the charm for me, but when they had Thorus appear in the expansion… I might buy G3 just because of him.
5) Diablo 2: Great atmosphere, great FMVs. Tyrael and Tal Rasha…
6) Jagged Alliance 2: The best NPC s, and the best NPC interaction ever. And Deirdranna rules.
7) Planescape Torment: This game did the atmosphere trick again. While I can't stand generic High Fantasy settings like AD&D's Forgotten Realms, Planescape always was a favorite setting of mine. Plus, good story, and you could get through the game with little combat (great plus IMO).
8) Arx Fatalis: The guards! The darkness! The music! In short, I liked the ambience, looks and premises of the game. And I loved the way magic was handled.
9) Jade Empire: The perfect game for a Wire Fu affictionado. Beautiful game, very entertaining (though linear), and great romance options.
10) Deus Ex 1: The ending(s) of this game made me cower in awe. DX 2 was nice, but it didn't make me feel small and humble.

Honorable mentions go to Final Fantasy 6, 7 and 8, KotOR 1 and 2, Wild Arms 1, Might and Magic 6 and 9, Arena and Oblivion (Hieronymus Lex - SQUEEEE!).

Some games just bored me for some reason or other, like BG 1 and 2, NWN 1 and Dungeon Siege, for example. Others were too difficult for a habitual non-reader of manuals (Dungeon Master 2, for example).

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team