View Single Post

September 24th, 2008, 22:10
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
I personally would much prefer a solid well crafted SP game to a game where resources and budget was stretched to include a MP function.

Lan? Sure…but now a days if you can't provide costly "Closed" servers for MP then it's a waste of money and development time and effort imo
Good for you, however it's not exactly relevant to this discussion. We're not talking about individual preference, but about genre standards.

Anyway, I tire of hearing that multiplayer modes are directly related to bad singleplayer aspects of any game. It's not a simple formula where adding multiplayer mode directly reduces the quality of singleplayer. It's all about what you do in the planning stages, and if you design a game to be multiplayer from the outset, there's nothing inherently destructive about that. I would agree, though, that games that are planned as singleplayer but end up with a tacked on multiplayer aren't better for it. I too prefer a carefully planned design, as opposed to a last-minute addition of whatever feature.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential