View Single Post

October 5th, 2008, 12:13
What "RPG" means have changed quite a bit lately. We live in an era now in which many games have skill systems as a game mechanic, just because they are fun. Four examples; Sims always had a skill system. No One Lives Forever 2 did as well. Warcraft III had RPG mechanics. Finally fightinggames such as Fight Night and Def Jam did as well.

We also have more choices these days. Many games try to give you freedom to play the game in your own way. Free roaming is popular and can be seen in games like Far Cry, Crysis, Grand Theft Auto, S.T.A.L.K.E.R etc.

When it was originally released, there was a debate if Deus Ex really was an RPG. Combining FPS with RPG mechanics had been tried before but Deus Ex also became one of the most popular games out there which became a reference for future games, something to compare with if another developer tried the same combo.

Then there's the games that really had a strong focus on RPG mechanics but didn't felt like RPG's at all… such as Diablo, Sacred and Titan Quest.

I have skipped loads of "RPG's" lately. I never really bothered to check them out because I knew they wouldn't offer what I like.

So the question for me today is what I really enjoy to play and if a game have it or not. I'll keep my thumbs up for Deus Ex 3. If it's anything like Deus Ex it's a must for me. While I agree that Invisible War was a step down, I still found the game enjoyable enough to complete.

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM