Elemental: War of Magic - Status Report

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
A tweet of Stardock gave a reminder to the Status Report on Elemental they posted earlier.
So here is where we stand as we near the first anniversary of the release of the first Elemental title (War of Magic)
War of Magic v1.4
Last month we released War of Magic v1.3. We are currently working on v1.4 which we anticipate going into beta this month. v1.4 is scheduled to include AI updates, balance updates, and bug fixes.
Fallen Enchantress
Most of Stardock Entertainment’s resources are currently being put on the second Elemental title (Fallen Enchantress) which is a fairly radical departure from War of Magic (other than art resources). I can’t go into much detail regarding it other than to say it that it is much more similar to a Civilization/Master of Magic style strategy game versus a Galactic Civilizations/HOMM style strategy game (i.e. every tile of terrain matters i.e. building near rivers or forests or hills and that kind of thing will matter and there are things like unrest and tax rates and that kind of thing).
Of course, the decision to make Fallen Enchantress effectively a new game (other than art assets) has meant that its date is being pushed out to being more like a sequel’s release. That said, our plan is for the beta to come out this Fall still. However, bear in mind, that other than both existing in the Elemental universe, the gameplay of the two are very different.
More information to be had when you follow the link.
More information.

is there really any compelling reason to play Elemental at this point? I still felt quite burned for $79 when i preordered it but havent bothered playing since then.

-desperate for anti-cynicism

Yeah this game had me pretty disappointed. After GalCiv II I guess I made the mistake of becoming overly confident in the Stardock name. I should have been far more cautious given how ambitious they're plans for the game sounded by comparison.

My understanding is that the latest patch changes and by most accounts greatly improves many mechanics, but like most of thier patches it also breaks some things. Currently for example the AI has lost the ability to cast spells. Kind of a big deal in a game titled war of magic.

Most people seem to be optimistic about Fallen Enchantress, but seem to have written off war of magic. Many of their fans have even suggested that they stop working on it completely and devote all their efforts to FE instead.

i honestly think that this game is way beyond redemption.
There are so many faults that I can't see a patch fixing them all.

And on top of that, it's quite ugly too look at, too.

Back
Top Bottom