Dragon Age - Violence Trailer

To any who now cry foul and spout now waning interest because of this new trailer...I can only say that you didn't really understand what the game was about or contained before.
I was just hoping this juvenilia wasn't what it was about or contained. ;) And I'm sure the game is going to be more substantive--as you say this is a marketing move from the master marketers @ BW.

My panties are totally undithered. I'm not a huge Bioware fan anyway, so don't mind me. :)

Good to hear...for dithered panties are quite vexing and dithersome ;)

I have "hope" that the game will be both enjoyable and challenging!
I've been impressed by all the dev dairies and previews thus far...

They say all publicity is good publicity (and panty-talk is a plus, of course), but I have to think the devs had higher hopes for how this new trailer would be received. The big thumbs-down this and the new logo are both getting have to be disappointing.

They say all publicity is good publicity (and panty-talk is a plus, of course), but I have to think the devs had higher hopes for how this new trailer would be received. The big thumbs-down this and the new logo are both getting have to be disappointing.

agreed.

But I think/hope there's times enough before the release that further previews and trailers and such will bolster it back and past previous levels of interest and anticipation...

And upon release if the game is sound and fun it will be a success ;)

The combat looked nice, hopefully the gameplay is in a bar with visuals.

However this sort of advertaising is hurting DA's image imo..They claim DA to be "gritty mature dark heroic fantasy." Yes it is dark and gritty and maybe even a bit heroic, but whats the mature part in this trailer? I felt like I was watching MTV's random music video :) If they wish people to think that this game continues bg2's tradition, they better start presenting the game in a way which doesn't make the game look silly.

But what i'm whing here, I'm going to buy the game anyhow no matter the adds. :)

The blood and gore is the dark and gritty, the character's moral dilemmas and consequences within a dark fantasy setting is the "mature"...

And from scanning the 49+ pages on the official DA forums that is discussing the video, it seems to "me" that the majority of posts are positive.

Last edited:
I was pretty neutral on watching ... maybe I've seen to many crap commercials for games on TV to really care one way or the other. I do like what I've seen from videos about the game itself.

And music videos with pop-shock theatrical types like Manson are of little interest, pretty 'low art' to start - the comparison to Springsteen is good, since by then he was a sold-out mass media patsy anyway.

Bioware can, of course, do what they want. However, my expectations went down a whole lot because of this game trailer. Marketing apparently thinks that people who play fps and action games are all just interested in blood, gore, violence and sex, yes, sex. I hope (too) many console players (just to call them this) will see this trailer, and say something like 'yes, it looks interesting, but isn't the main reason we would be buying this game'. People are really not that stupid as someone from an evil desk in marketing might think they are....

Personally, I don't like the blood in the trailer, also because people don't react that way when being hit by sword in the stomach. No gushing og blood unless the sword hits one of the main veins. And I don't get (some) developers think that mature means blood, blood, gore, gore and sex, sex and more gore, and not well thought out choices, a great story, good consequences and being able to give the palyer choices that are morally and ethical deeper than in a game rated E for for everyone (although these also can have some great an difficult choices)

As for the music score; I don't like Marilyn Manson's music that much - let alone when you can't hear what is beeing song. I agree, though, that if you do read the text, it is wonderfull ironic comment on their own creation, the DA IP. And so it is really breaking the fourth wall - while serving as a comment to the hype and expectation surrounding any new game as well...

Why would you switch your emotions totally off while watching horror movie? It doesn't make much sense to me. Isn't the whole point of horror movies to make a viewer feel "frightened". Atleast when I'm watching a film (horror/comedy/drama etc)..I let my emotions fly freely. :)

NOW you see why I don't see any sense in watching horror movies ... ;)

YOU don't let your emotions "flow" while watching ... na, you would deny it anyway because you'd call it "immature" ... ;)

Considering that Mansons song is actually a barbed commentary on the mindless infatuation of society with everything that is "extreme", "cool", "violent", i.e. the next media hype (and the next, and the next) this trailer is actually quite a deliciously ironic thing. Just like the song itself, btw, which most probably just mindlessly sing along with, without getting it's meaning at all (do we get it? No! Do we want it? Yes!)I don't know if it is conscious, but if it is, this thing is working on so many levels, that it is actually almost transcending into art. Maybe it is even art especially if it is not conscious...

Reminds me of Ronald Reagan appropriating "Born In The U.S.A." for his electoral campaign.

Fits very much together. I had already suspected that the choice of Marilyn Mansion was done for a rather symbolic meaning. I didn't mention it, because I couldn't prove it. Once again, my intuition was right ... ;)

I have a higb respect for his "art philosophy". I mean MM himself. His philosophy consists of shocking people - much like a weird form of a heyokah, a trickster, someone who uses the element of shocking to force people to question their (ways of) thoughts. He shocks people to force people to ask themselves: "What is normal ? Who defines it ?" Something like that.

With this interpretation, the "violence trailer" becomes/gets a an interesting twist.

I guess the folks there might have learned a lesson from the Mass Effect "alien sex" gossip as well.
So much that now they're perhaps actually PROVOKING a reaction they received UNWANTED by that "alien sex" gossip for Mass Effect before.

What no-one actually does and what I would wholeheartedly like to do is giving a game/movie/music CD a kind of "dark & gritty" image that fully supports this CD - but the actual CONTENTS are the EXACT oppsite !

It's like producing a CD with a death metal cover which ACTUALLY contains lullabies. Pure, harmless, naive lullabies without even the slightest hint of irony.
Or even worse: Children's songs.

I think THAT ould be the perfect way to really, really shock the supporters of the "dark & gritty faction" ! :cm:

I think THAT ould be the perfect way to really, really shock the supporters of the "dark & gritty faction" ! :cm:

d3-tshirt-rainbows.jpg

Really? So you've witnessed that event often? ;)

-ehm-

English is not my native language, but what I really meant is this:

When people are shot or hit by a sword, they don't burst out with blood, unless one of our main veins (or arteries) have been punctured.

In the trailer, we see lots of blood that seem to come from people who just have a sword put in their stomach. Also, I wonder why this is ? They have armor on their bodies. Wouldn't the blood flow down the armour or stay within the armour?

In the trailer, we see lots of blood that seem to come from people who just have a sword put in their stomach. Also, I wonder why this is ? They have armor on their bodies. Wouldn't the blood flow down the armour or stay within the armour?
'cos it desun't look cool and next-gen!

Back
Top Bottom