Hey Smokers: I Hate You

Another page killing gif (the smoking girl). People, please avoid posting these gif animations!

Then STOP using that virus called IE!! :) Get a decent browser- anything other than IE.

Many of us don't have that choice. At least if you browse from work (which we don't do, of course). We use IE for all our 25000 users.

pibbur who uses the red fox at home.

Ditto, company policy. And to be honest, while I use Chrome and Firefox at home, there are plenty of problems with those, and many sites that only load OK with IE (other way round too, of course). A proud site like the Watch should make sure it works with all browsers ;)

That used to be quite common for civil servants here in Denmark - but it has gotten much harder in the last 10 years or so to slack off like that.

But productivity doesn't always translate to public service - so I'm not sure if there's an actual improvement overall. In fact, I'm pretty sure the combined changes have been for the worse - but that's another story.

The great art of conversation isn't dead. This thread started with a diatribe about smoking mentions browsers and ends up with discussion about civil service :)

We' re not finished yet. What's your favourite brand of tyres (tires? Thingies-to-put-on-wheels-on-cars?)?

Pibbur who atm doesn't know what's on his car, a toyota (he knows that)

Said pibbur who failed to pull off a proper cross-topic bane.

It's all about the flow, good sir. A skillful cross-topic bane is so subtle that people don't realize the conversation has been dramatically redirected until well after the fact. The truly epic ones don't involve "related chains", either-- it's a sudden wild jump to something completely different (much like your introduction of tires). Wistful tip of the hat to the Universal Grandmaster of CTB, the much-missed RPGDot alum Pinnen.

I smoked 1,5 packs of cigarettes from 17 to 25 years. Tried to stop several times (was a bit in fear because of my heart, also cold hands and feet especially when I smoked like 5 cigarettes before breakfast) - it never worked of course. One day I had no money for cigarettes and I didn't smoke. Also the next day. Until today, I'm 40 now with no more wish to smoke.

Still love pubs full of smoke, no problem at that. I'm not one of those modern hypochondriacs who beliele life is just risk and no fun. Hey people! a) life ends with death! b) my parents generatuon smoked like hell. And so what! German society gets just too old. Sooo many people beyond 80. Mankind has never ever seen this before. Live your life and stop whining about all those risks, you pussies.

Will happily smoke one day again, full power, yeah. Maybe when I'm around 65-70.

Said pibbur who failed to pull off a proper cross-topic bane.

I admit, as most of you probably have noticed, that I like a certain finesse when posting.

pibbur who is regularly ridiculed by the wife because he tends to tear open boxes and bags in stead of exploring the finer details of lid mechanisms

As a group, I don't hate smokers by any means. But I do associate that smell with death and dying. (When I was young, my chain-smoking grandpa passed away.) Thus I hold my breath whenever I am forced to walk past a pack of smokers.

It was a creepy moment for me when I was in the hospital, recovering from an infection, and was visited by a priest who stank of cigarettes. I know he meant well, but I just couldn't abide that odor; not while I was in that condition.

Has it been conclusively proven/disproven that secondhand smoke is dangerous yet? I would guess that all depends on the amount of exposure. I need to look that up, bolster my disdain with convenient science factoids. Maybe i can win Dart over after all.
….

There is solid scientific support for the risks of passive smoking. Among the main effects in children are bronchial asthma and more/more severe upper and lower airway infections. In general we find a 30% increase in the risks of lung cancer and myocardial infarction.

It all depends on the amount of exposure. I would think that long term exposure to tobacco smoke is most frequent in private homes, at least in Norway. Occupational and environmental hazards because of passive smoking is largely eliminated since smoking now is banned at most work places (correct English?) and in pubs and cafes. BTW, before, smoking was banned in pubs and cafes, opponents claimed that it would cause dramatic reductions in the number of guests and widespread bankruptcies in the business. It didn't happen. And today the smoking ban is widely supported, even among smokers.

pibbur who has never been tempted to smoke. Both his parents smoked when he was young, also in the family car (this was in the happy sixties), which made pibbur feel really sick. Which he still remembers. In other words: no positive vibrations at all with smoking, only very negative ones. Strangely, his sister was exposed to the same amount of in-car smoke, didn't prevent her from starting smoking (she doesn't smoke now).

BTW, before, smoking was banned in pubs and cafes, opponents claimed that it would cause dramatic reductions in the number of guests and widespread bankruptcies in the business. It didn't happen.

My county was the first in Minnesota (US State, upper midwest) to ban smoking in most public places, including all bars and restaurants. (Minnesota was also the first state in the US to have any smoking regulations back in the 80s) The bar industry claimed this was going to kill them and that all the people would go to neighboring counties and the bars would all close. What actually happened was that some bars did close, but that happens all the time anyway. The NUMBER of bars and requests for even more licenses increased and their overall income increased as well, even compared to the neighboring counties.

Back
Top Bottom