The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

I recently picked up the remaster of "Golden Age of the Wireless". I used to love my cassette of it back in the day, and I'm well reminded of just why. Lots of really good music beyond the single. This user-made video isn't too bad. I love the chorus sections--wish they were longer. Trivia bit, Thomas Dolby designed the software used by Nokia cellphones to play ringtones. Seriously smart guy.

"Weightless" by Thomas Dolby

i always liked that album and that track in particular. :)

Easily Embarassed - Time Holes

This was playing on the "Chillout" stream on DI. Curiously wonderful. Starts out like a classic baroque song or so, then morphs into a whirling, bubbly, futuristic synth thing.
I guess you could call it psy-chill-ambient, or whatever takes your fancy.

I did a music survey for Pat Metheny that got me 50 free downloads from eMusic ... so I used them for a variety of things. Right now I'm digging Respect Sextet - Sirius Respect - it is the music of Sun Ra and Karlheinz Stockhausen ... really cool stuff.

Some nice modern day versions of early 90's Britpop:

"Believeable" by Mighty Six Ninety

Speaking of Sun Ra, another eMusic grab was his classic Atlantis. Still haunting and freaky today ... amazing to think that the electronic keyboard was only released ~4 months before that recording.

This duo is a little hard to pigeonhole, so I'll call them a mix of darkwave, shoegaze, and britpop. That mixture sounds like generic crap, but this works out surprisingly well.

"Sincerity" by Dreamgaze

edit- that is surprisingly good, Omega. Is that typical of their sound, or did playing with the orchestra and choir add power to the tunes?

Last edited:
Hi dteowner!

Thanks for mentioning Dreamgaze with Sincerity, I even downloaded Adobe FlashPlayer in order to be able to listen to it. :)
Not bad, but a bit soporific compared to Within Temptation, if you don't mind me saying…

Yes, Jillian is a nice example of the thing you can expect from them I think but I'm definitely no expert, I'm more of a novice, a new fan… They consider themselves a symphonic rock/metal band. Without the Metropole Orchestra they sound smashing too but the orchestra (album Black Symphony) adds an extra touch of irresistibility to me. In spring '10 I'll see them live, a concert WITH the orchestra! :)

Here are two (quiet) songs that are really lovely I think:

Somewhere - Within Temptation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pnefkju7cY
Forgiven - Within Temptation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJuWvMmGr_s

I'm glad you liked Jillian, maybe you'll like those two as well?

edit:
found this: Forgiven with the Metropole Orchestra. I think this next one, a live version, is better than the one mentioned above:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBp4Fswr9HM&NR=1

Last edited:
There's a new MySpace page for The Emerald Down and it's got songs! Some good songs, even. Too bad these folks broke up years ago, because their Aquarium ep (their last release) was absolutely wonderful. The full length (Scream the Sound) was very good as well. I expect both are very hard to acquire these days. Anyhoo, enjoy!

"Henry Miller" and "Red Shift" by The Emerald Down

Anyone in the mood for some progressive trance? I wasn't when I found this band in my "bands to check out" list and found their Greatest Hits on Spotify. It took me about 20 seconds to get in the mood for it though.

Übereil

@Ubereil- when I was living in Fort Worth, there was a radio station that played trance and house music. I got a taste for it, although I preferred the more melodic tunes they played (which I believe is "vanilla trance", but I couldn't say for certain). The only cd I purchased from the genre was this one, which I'd glowingly recommend in a heartbeat:
"Beautiful Things" by Andain

@Mike- That cd isn't half as bad as one might think. You've got to be in the right mood, but it's an enjoyable listen if you are.

@Omega- Good tunes, but I think my favorite from that concert so far is "The Howling". Mucho power. It appears that more tracks from that concert dvd have been uploaded. Back to watching I go.

Absolutely - and I *was* in the mood this afternoon ... I was much more of a Kraftwerk guy, but some Devo every now and then is cool.

Oh boy, oh boy, these last posts made me think back to some music I listened to *a lot* during the 80s. A classmate introduced me to these two albums during a school expedition back then. After that I listened to them pretty much non-stop while doing other activities like hiking, drawing or cleaning up my room.

Get ready for some incredibly pleasant Italo-Disco / Synth-Pop!

Laserdance - Discovery Trip & Around the World

Couldn't decide which song to link to so I picked one at random. Make sure to always click on "HQ" for stereo sound if you haven't made that an option in your youtube settings already, the sound isn't exactly up to modern standards as it is.

Last edited:
I haven't heard very much Kraftwerk. What I have heard pretty much ammounts to Minimum Maximum which is a great album. It's one of those bands that have released so much music that I don't know where to begin. I'm thinking about getting the Man Machine. Devo's another matter, there I have all of their albums but one. They're not about the same thing as Kraftwerk though, which is about progressive music. Devo's rythmic music with clever lyrics. Their Working in a Coalmine cover makes me happy every time I hear it. :)

As for trance, I haven't listened to much trance at all. I believe I'd like it if I could find any good trance, but doing so has been very hard. Which is probably why my first impression of Solid Globe was so positive. What I did want though was a slightly more melodic sound... ;)

Laserdance was great by the way.

Übereil

Oh yes, get Man Machine. It's a classic. As are Autobahn, Trans Europe Express, Electric Cafe... and all the others.

As my avatar might betray to the informed I'm now enjoying Muse's album The Resistance in full! They're streaming it on their site with decent-ish quality: http://muse.mu/media-player/albums/47/the-resistance/

Unnatural Selection and the three-part Symphony are amazing, and the only kinda weak tracks are Guiding Light and I Belong To You. My favorite part of the whole album has to be 1:50 to 2:50 in Cross Pollination, which is EXTREMELY strong when you listen to the Symphony in full.

Back
Top Bottom