Dungeon Lords - Sequel Announced - The Orb and the Oracle

OK, we disagree on DL but a question for you: how much do you trust DWB (or Dreamcatcher or whoever) to deliver the feature list on the box? Or doesn't that matter?

I personally don't even look at game boxes anymore (stopped five or six years ago) except for the price. I'll try out a demo or read some reviews, that's always more helpful. So yeah, I don't care if they write on the box that the secret of cold fusion is included, I'll never ever read it anyway.

Oh, by the way, DL sucked. I played it for a few hours an then realized that I'd rather should have have bought a cup of coffee and a sandwich. Would have been more fun.

You know... I love how people love to trash DW... but did all of you know that Andrew Greenberg... that's right... Werdna... the co-creator of the first 4 Wizardry games... shared the writing credits with DW on Dungeon Lords. It's true... read your manual if you have one.

Not sure why they didn't try to hype that when marketing the game... maybe Greenberg was smart enough to want his name left off of it... but he's to blame for what many of you call a terrible game (not me), just like DW.

Just because somebody makes something you like doesn't mean you'll like everything that person ever does.

Just because somebody makes something you like doesn't mean you'll like everything that person ever does.

That was kinda my point... everyone loves to hate DW... but nobody mentions Andrew... and I know there are a lot of early Wizardry game lovers here... and it's okay if both of those people have created games you loved... AND games you've hated... same with development companies... I have loved many of Interplay's RPGs... but I hated Descent to Undermountain (which by the way is a FAR MUCH worse game than Dungeon Lords... both in game play, writing, and bugginess). I loved Gothic 1 and 2... but I thought 3 was a pretty terrible game. So, you're right... it's okay... and even expected that we may all love some games by one person/company, but dislike others.

Er...... are they serious?

Yep - sold over a million copies!

Better let´s tape txa to his chair - he will jump through the ceiling after reading this news... ;)

Not sure exactly how to take that ...

But I did immediately snap into 'prolific verbage mode' ... and rather than restating, let me just link to my GamingWithChildren blog on this - check it out here.

My thoughts and feelings are out there - I see it as a deeply flawed game that I liked more than it deserved.

But I will guarantee you right now that I will be there on release day buying the new game - and I hate myself for it.

A game featuring co-op play is worth a look in my book. It's not something seen very often on the PC. The Halo port didn't include it for instance and Hidden & Dangerous 2 also cut it out. I never played the original H&D in single player, one of the best gaming experiences of my life.

OK, we disagree on DL but a question for you: how much do you trust DWB (or Dreamcatcher or whoever) to deliver the feature list on the box?
Not at all. :) In fact, the light you shed in this thread on why you feel a little extra burned by DWB makes me trust him even less. Thus the "probably" in my previous post. Unlike DL, the sequel will not be a release day purchase for me. However, I'll be looking for lots of reasons in the reviews and feedback from players after release to stop me from buying it, rather than looking for reason to buy it. If that makes sense.

Or doesn't that matter?
Strictly speaking, no, it doesn't to me. Don't get me wrong. As I've said all along, I think folks have every right to be angry at DWB to the point of boycotting his games (and you especially) after the crap he pulled with totally misleading people before release, then pretending everything was hunky dory after the release ("people want a mini-map? really?! gosh, we thought it would be more realistic without one, but if you insist...") and delivering the final insult of asking them to buy the game just to get most of what they should have gotten with the original game. But I'm not in that camp. I understand it, but I'm just not there. I really, really enjoyed the game. For me, it was money well spent, even if I spent it twice. And that's what matters the most to me. Not whether DWB lied or whether the caves mentioned on the box actually existed or any of that. So I'm hoping there will be a demo that will give me a good flavor of what the sequel’s like, and I'm hoping the feedback from players is not overwhelmingly negative. As long as those two conditions are true, I'll probably be buying it.

You know... I love how people love to trash DW... but did all of you know that Andrew Greenberg... that's right... Werdna... the co-creator of the first 4 Wizardry games... shared the writing credits with DW on Dungeon Lords. It's true... read your manual if you have one.

Not sure why they didn't try to hype that when marketing the game... maybe Greenberg was smart enough to want his name left off of it... but he's to blame for what many of you call a terrible game (not me), just like DW.

I think this is another example of the confusion on where people are critiquing the game on its own merits and where they're angry at DW for his persistently poor treatment of his customers. IMHO, the strongest "hate" comes from the latter. As far as I know, that particular problem had nothing to do with Andrew and everything to do with DWB.

Last edited:
I think this is another example of the confusion on where people are critiquing the game on its own merits and where they're angry at DW for his persistently poor treatment of his customers. IMHO, the strongest "hate" comes from the latter. As far as I know, that particular problem had nothing to do with Andrew and everything to do with DWB.

I think that is critically important - look at Sacred: it was a mess at release, but they were able to quickly patch it up, and then released the (planned for sale) Plus Pack for free, and so on. Earned tremendous goodwill - whereas DWB has deservedly earned only scorn. Even if this next one is good it won't earn him much trust.

The best selling saga? Maybe he and I live in alternate realities... DL was the greatest crap I have seen in 25 years of gaming. I am surprised anyone lets thus guy MAKE another game! I am not a man who boycotts peoples in principle, but I will wait a LONG time until a BIG demo and good reviews convince me, or if I can test it from a rental store before they see any dollar from me. Dungeon Lords was a CATASTROPHE of a game.

Created by legendary RPG game author, D.W. Bradley, The Orb and the Oracle boasts a massive fantasy world filled with incredible action and meticulously detailed indoor and outdoor environments. Offering both single and multiplayer co-op game modes, the game is sure to engage RPG fans for hours on end!

The game features an advanced and robust combat system coupled with devastating magic spells for a variety of ways to vanquish your foes in real-time. Set to the tone of an epic soundtrack, players should prepare themselves for an unforgettable journey.

Sounds totally like the first game to me... ... ... not. As far as I am concerned the oracle can take the orb and shove it up her ass.

Sounds totally like the first game to me... ... ... not. As far as I am concerned the oracle can take the orb and shove it up her ass.

"I have no idea what that means, sir, but it seems very negative to me".

Wow, I loved Wizardry 7 but only liked DL until I got stuck at a point I could not get past...found out later it was a bug. I was really looking forward to another DWB game after W&W. I remember I used to always visit his heuristicpark website to see of any news of new games. I'll wait on this one before I purchase this time...hopefully someone here can review it thoroughly.

Did someone mention Descent to Undermountain. I remember buying that game and being extremely excited about spending my months allowance on it only to discover it was a piece of garbage no matter how much I tried to love it.

I waited to see the c.s.i.p.rpg comments on Descent to Undermountain and avoided it all costs after reading a few threads about it.

DL:CE got it for $5, and missed most of the controversy. Had fun with it, still need to finish it, and actually re-install it under linux. (It's one of the games that functions fairly well under linux + wine/cedega and there aren't many, so I try to restrict play of this games and others to when I'm booted into linux. DSII is one of the other ones that I primarily play under linux, and play Minions of Mirth under both Windows & linux seeing as it's an MMORPG, and I don't really play SP any longer.)

I'm kind of doubting that DWB will be involved with this, and I'd assume that they will be using a commercially available engine with better development capabilities, as I mentioned in another thread changes/patches to DL:CE I remember reading, required a FULL rebuild of the game, and the scripting support such as it was, was supposed to be awful.

Andrew Greenberg: Remember the 1st 4 Wizardries really didn't have much in the way of story, they were pretty much pure dungeon crawlers of extremely limited scope, so I wouldn't expect much from Greenberg as far as a story would go. As a matter of fact, I can't really see any reason why he would be involved other than maybe he pitched in some funding too, or tried to help provide development resources...

Back
Top Bottom