Risen Game stalled and other experiences

O

Omega

I have played Risen for about two hours and I'm sorry to say I can report the first bug.
Yesterday evening, after just five minutes of actual gameplay, I was pressing different keys (letters) in order to see what happened (being too impatient to read the manual), when all of a sudden the game stalled. My cheecks still red, my forehead feverish from excitement about actually playing Risen, I jumped at a loud monotonous noise. Restart of my PC was unavoidable; Ctrl-Alt_Del, Windows key, nothing worked.
I did not try again, so I don't know exactly what happened; maybe I pushed two keys at the same time?

Okay. My first impression of the game.

Loading and saving time is fast. FYI I have a quad core, a NVDIA GeForce 9800 GTX and 4 Gig of memory. Game runs smoothly.

Combat. After some time I found a hunting knife and a small shield. I didn't face any serious problem getting animals down. Slashing runs nicely, but my tactics clearly need practice. I have yet to figure out the best method to approach each animal. I haven't found any bow yet, which I regret because I enjoyed the archery in Gothic very much.

Living. It isn't necessary to rest. Pity, for having to go to bed at night adds an extry touch of reality to a game I think. The first moment I saw a fire I looked forward to the moment of being able to make my own meal and I'm glad to tell that by now I have tasted my first baking and my, it tasted good. :)

Exploring. I have gathered all sorts of plants, opened different chests, encountered several animals, including that sea monster. It doesn't hurt you in any way, you just wake up lying at the beach.

Interaction. Em, IMHO: the hero talks a bit slow. And Sara looks weird. :) But you all know that. I haven't met any other people yet.

What do I think of the game thus far? Too soon to tell.

I hope you've enjoyed reading this first impression.

———————
Edit: FYI I played the English version

Last edited:
I hope you've enjoyed reading this first impression.

Actually my thoughts leaned more towards you choking on some raw meat, as I sit here impatiently waiting for my copy to arrive :mad:

After reading about the game stall and journal hiccups, I installed a foreign language version to test since I have similar hardware...Q6600, 4GB ram, GTX 285 vid card. I am curious. Were you able to repeat the game lockup? I've haven't had that exact way to the problem, but I did get a lockup when trying to load the game from windows. I had searched the beach and killed a couple of mobs before my work needed me elsewhere so I exited to windows. A short time later I tried to restart to see if I could duplicate your error and never got that far lol. It locked up trying to load. I shut down the PC and rebooted and it loaded fine. I've tried several more times to get the same lockup but everything have loaded/run smoothly. No amount of key pressing has caused any lockups however. Also in the foreign language version there are things in the journal, although I have no clue what they say. I went as far as the second house you come to before stopping(where some dude pulls a sword when you enter the house, and talks your ear off a while.) I assume he gave some type of quest, but I am not sure....but there is writing in the journal in two areas. *shrugs*

You mentioned attacking and from what little I experienced, the attacking is like G3....although jumping up as I rushed in worked quite well against the lil dudes in the cave. Oh, and I didn't find a shield even though I think I was quite thorough. What general area was it in? Before the first house, before the second, or after that? I am not planning on playing anymore until my copy arrives, but at least I'll know I needed to be more thorough in an area :p

In the videos released the hero is in a crypt and falls thru the floor, fights a mob, opens two chests and pulls a lever to open the exit gate. As you exit and the stairs/path leads to a small landing then goes up to the left........if you stop on the landing and turn around facing the exit there is a ledge and area above. I don't want to know what is there. I just want to know if it is accessible, and is it accessible the first time you reach the crypt(early early in the game). Anyway, back to work. *sighs*

Were you able to repeat the game lockup?

After you asked I tried. First very carefully, but soon I banged at several letters at the same time. This time nothing happened.

I've haven't had that exact way to the problem, but I did get a lockup when trying to load the game from windows. I had searched the beach and killed a couple of mobs before my work needed me elsewhere so I exited to windows. A short time later I tried to restart to see if I could duplicate your error and never got that far lol. It locked up trying to load.

Hm, now you mention it, it was indeed the second time I played the game. When finished installing the game, I played for a while but then closed it to do something else. After that I doubleclicked the icone and went back to exploring the beach. Some time passed, I became curious about the different keys… Etc.

I shut down the PC and rebooted and it loaded fine

Same here.

Also in the foreign language version there are things in the journal, although I have no clue what they say. I went as far as the second house you come to before stopping (…) but there is writing in the journal in two areas.

Thank you for giving me that information! I'm further than the second house and still everything is blank. :( It makes the game a bit harder for I can not be disturbed while listening or else the information is gone for good.

Oh, and I didn't find a shield even though I think I was quite thorough. What general area was it in? Before the first house, before the second, or after that?

A shield? I found two. :) One before the first house - definitely one shield. The second shield? Hm, I'm not sure. I think yes, before the first house as well - my memory may trick me though. About the first shield: left side of the road, assuming you have your back facing the sea. BTW how many lil dudes did you kill in that cave, you know that there are four/five? (I don't remember the exact number).

In the videos released the hero is in a crypt and falls thru the floor, fights a mob, opens two chests and pulls a lever to open the exit gate. As you exit and the stairs/path leads to a small landing then goes up to the left……..if you stop on the landing and turn around facing the exit there is a ledge and area above. I don't want to know what is there. I just want to know if it is accessible, and is it accessible the first time you reach the crypt(early early in the game).

First time I did not fall through the floor. I walked around it. I could see a shrieking animal beneath me though. After that the floor closed again. I walked down a hallway until I came to a barred door. Behind it there was a(/the same?) shrieking animal. I could not open the barred door. I went up again, opened the floor by coming close, and jumped down. This time there was no shrieking animal. I checked the two chests, then saw a lever and pulled it. I walked out, walked up and came back to the point where the floor opens… I guessed I missed something. :)

Last edited:
The answer to you first question in the spoiler=5

The place you talk about in spoiler 2 is were I am talking about. I did the same as you because i had seen the video of the trap floor :p And the moth thingy disappeared when I went back around and down into the trap. When you pull the lever and exit the trap, the area I am talking about trying to access is above you before you head up the stairs to the left. Exit the trap and go straight the few feet until you would run into the walll and turn around looking back at the trap area you just left......then look up. It is illuminated up there and you can clearly see there is a lot of room up there. I just haven't been able to get up there yet :p My english copy arrives sometime today, so I'll be much more persistent lol.

It is illuminated up there and you can clearly see there is a lot of room up there. I just haven't been able to get up there yet :p My english copy arrives sometime today, so I'll be much more persistent lol.

I went back to that spot today. Yes, there's some light, sort of greenish white light, right? I've seen it in some caves as well. Up there, me thinks there's nothing up there… I tried to get up there as well, no success.

I've read about your problems with the DVD. :( Transforming from ecstasy ('I've got it, at last!) to frenzy ('groahhh, let me play') must have been hard. I've experienced it a bit myself, but the things you had to deal with are much, much worse.

Anyway, I do hope you'll start playing the game soon, 'cause it has a soothing effect. :) Well, it has on me. At the moment I don't get quests all the time from everybody everywhere anymore, so instead of playing the secretary* I can actually focus on the game! And I'm definitely beginning to enjoy it. :)

* in case one of you does not know: I get no quest information in my Journal. See other thread.

Back
Top Bottom