Torchlight - Review @ Torchlight Insider

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
Torchlight Insider has written a review of Torchlight giving it 9.5/10. They were very impressed with the overall game and the modding tools available for it:
Overall, the game is simply amazing. If you enjoy Diablo, Diablo 2, Fate, or Mythos, you will love Torchlight. If you’ve never played the games, Torchlight is worth a try. The game is the most involving, immersive Action/RPG of its kind that I’ve played, and I HIGHLY recommend you at least pick it up. If not, you’re missing out.
Mega thumbs up to the Runic Games team for developing this game in a year and making such a polished game. There have been a few reports of crashes, but one crash in 12 hours of gaming with no breaks for your computer isn’t always the game’s fault. Sometimes bosses will try to hide in corners or escape their main chambers to cause some problems, but again, this is a minor/non-issue.
And final note, I did not get to do any playing with TorchED, the editor being released shortly after the game (formerly known as PrEditor, but that’s changed due to copyright issues). If you’re a modder, or a mod-player, Torchlight is going to be VERY mod-friendly to give it even more replayability down the road as players add more content, more quests, more items, more classes, or more monsters. So another boon to an already great game.
More information.

I wasn't as thrilled about this game before, but after reading a few previews/reviews for it I think I'll give it a shot. I'm looking forward to seeing how easy to use those mod tools are.

I also have had the opportunity to try it out. It really is pretty fun, esp., considering the short development time (or is it that short? I suppose a bit of work could have been carried over from Mythos) and for $20.00 is the only Diablo-esque game since Titan Quest that seems to be likely to keep me happy until Diii.

I would point out that both of the glowing reviews are amateur ones from Torchlight fansites, so take those with a grain of salt.

Oh I'm not basing it just from what they said, I've been reading around a bit and the more I read about the game mechanics and what they were trying to do the more impressed I became.

$20.00 isn't so much money for a game that sounds like it's quite a lot of fun.

The big pull is going to be that they're releasing the full set of dev tools. So we're probably going to be seeing unlimited re-playability for this, with fan made conversions and mods.

Back
Top Bottom