Nuclear Union - Preview @ Gamespot UK

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Gamespot UK has a look at the post-apocalyptic RPG Nuclear Union, which is being created by the Ukranian company Best Way and published by 1C. Nuclear Union is based on the 'what if' scenario of the Cuban missile crisis resulting in a nuclear war.
The most interesting element during the demo was the appearance of physical anomalies, Nuclear Union's version of environmental puzzles. The impact of a nuclear attack doesn't just destroy life and mangle buildings; such a profound expulsion of energy also disturbs the forces of nature, creating pockets in space with their own gravitational fields. They don't pose a direct threat to the player, and are completely optional, but resolving anomalies rewards you with items and special abilities. By manipulating objects orbiting the core of an anomaly, you can neutralize its gravitational field and gain access to the prize within. Just make sure you watch your back while doing so, lest you risk attack from the hordes of mutants roaming the land.
More information.

There's also mention of moral choices and branching paths, though it's noted that the protagonist shall forever remain on the side of "good."
Although not a recent trend, I won't complain on this. I usually don't have patience to replay a game just to see what playing "on the other side" brings. Except TW2, but that wasn't really "good vs evil" cliche and brought completely different areas and sidestories.

Maybe this is pretty irrelevant, but about the place everyone went to after the disaster:
Pobedograd = Wincity (pobeda - win, grad - city).

If the planet was devastated by a nuclear war, the "win" is either an irony or black humor. Both are something I want to see in every game.
;)

Add to that anomalies mentioned in the review which are in fact puzzles… Now I'm definetly buying that game.

I'm getting a really good vibe about this game, especially after seeing the new gameplay footage at the link, it reminds me of "Stalker" big time. ( I loved that game)

A game like Stalker but is finally an rpg and gasp it also has women in it. Sold!!!!! I was interested since the game was first announced.:)

Nice to finally see some gameplay footage. It strikes me of a blend of Stalker and FO3.

I think I'd prefer a first-person camera though..

It's confirmed it's played in third person? Most screens + video is in first person except a few scenes (might be cut scenes or just to make the video a bit more cinematic?)

Could be good.. eagerly awaiting Lost Alpha for STALKER: SoC too...

first or third person isn't something I'm picky about personally, both can work.

even if the game is released in a buggy state, has a terrible story, and frustrating mechanics i'll most likely buy this on release for its setting/exploration alone.

This line always makes me smile:
But the protagonist, an active Soviet officer, will definitely never join forces of evil.

If they understood the irony that a large segment of the English speaking market might perceive in this statement and chose to keep the translated answer as is anyways then I think this might be a very interesting game. Definitely a perspective I don't get to see from very often in games at least. Also I'm sure it will be the favored punching bag of certain anti-video game pundits over here; that's sure to boost sales for them.

Back
Top Bottom