Crookz - with or without DRM

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hello, everyone,

I always wanted to buy this game, because it reminds me so much of Evil Genius.

Now, I can buy it from GOG. Completely DRMM-free.
https://www.gog.com/game/crookz_the_big_heist

Now, what I actually do *not* understant, is, why id the German publisher have to "bundle" it with Steam in the first place ? Nobody bought it - because of Steam ?
It is an open secret that German gamers don't like Steam very much …

Now, I have the possibility to buy it boxed WITH Steam for 7 Euros (lowest price I've seen in a shop so far) - or from GOG for right now 12 Euros (reduced price right now) …

I just don't get it. Of course I'd take any DRM-free version over any Steamed version immediately …

Strange decision they made …

Alrik

hmm that looks like an interesting title, id never heard of it.
I like the style of it!

looks like it's reminiscent of Commandos style gameplay

Now, what I actually do *not* understant, is, why id the German publisher have to "bundle" it with Steam in the first place ? Nobody bought it - because of Steam ?
It is an open secret that German gamers don't like Steam very much …

Simple, if your game is on steam, you don't need to worry about things such as patch distribution and such, steam does it for you, so it cuts down on some expenses. If you release a DRM-free version on its own, a GOG version and a steam version, then you'll have to worry about patch distribution through 3 different channels (one of which you have to pay for hosting). For a smaller developer or publisher, cutting down on this cost like this can make a big difference.
The reason why you're not getting a GOG key in the box is because Steam is bigger, and GOG does not seem to be very interested in distribution keys like that.

Well, according to employees from Daedalic, you just cannot publish games in English-speaking territories without Steam anymore …

But the German-language version of Crookz has Steam as well, and maybe that's why it got discounted so fast ?

Steam-bound games sell in general not very good in Germany, it seems to me … apart from the generation that's already used to it …

Back
Top Bottom